Wednesday 26 November 2014

Week 12

Week 12: Future of the Internet


For my final blog entry, I am going to talk a bit about the future of Internet. As we know, the Internet is in a constant state of change and it’s growing every single day. The Internet is advancing in ways that will make all our lives easier. Web 3.0 is the future and I believe if we know what to expect we can make more use of it features.


Web 3.0 has yet to change our lives as Internet users. It puts Web 1.0 and 2.0 to shame and shows us that the Internet is and can be a lot smarter than we once thought. Below is a video about how Web 3.0 is going to change our lives. 







The aspect I think will be the best feature of Web 3.0, is that it is going to become a more intelligent web. I think its going to be so much more efficient when we are looking for things on search engines and it will be smart enough to do all the work for us. I can totally relate when it comes to search engines these days and the user needs to type in very specific words to find exactly what they are looking for.

The most interesting thing about Mr. Choy’s lecture on the Future of the Internet was the idea of the “Internet of Things”. The Internet of Things/Objects is talking about a wireless connection between actual objects. When I heard that, I was thinking about how efficient it would be if my coffee machine and toaster had a wireless connection and could co-ordinate so I could have them ready at the same time! One thing I think was a little unsettling was the idea that the Internet is now reaching out to real world objects. If this were to happen and be successful, no one knows how much more advanced it could become in a few years. For all we know, all our appliances in the household could be intelligent robots making their own decisions!

Internet of Things is sure to take off soon enough and I think in 5 years or so it may be very advanced. In our lecture, in 2020 things are said to have ‘identities’ and personalities and can communicate with their highly intelligent interfaces. I think the ultimate goals is to have connectivity to the Internet from anywhere, anything and anytime. I believe that if the Internet is able to be mobilized and can reach anything, object or person the world will be connected beyond anything we ever have known. The only downside I think there is to this is that since the Internet functions on power/electricity, if there were to be a power shortage anywhere, connectivity via the Internet could no occur. Not only that but it probably going to be very expensive and not every country is in a position to let that happen anytime soon (due to other issues they are facing).

I think that as the Internet develops, human in turn will become lazy and too reliant on technology to do this for them. Although the Web 3.0 is meant to help people to lead better lives, I fear that humans will always expect technology to things for them and will not know how to cope without it. It would basically be a society run by robots serving humans.




No comments:

Post a Comment